April 29, 2015
Peter Penguin says...
Angela knows her shit!
This is an Angela Hartnett recipe originally posted on BBC Good Food: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkey_curry_45626
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 fresh birds eye chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 small knob root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, for frying
- 500g/1lb 2oz turkey breast, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 400ml/14fl oz coconut milk
- 150ml/5fl oz chicken or turkey stock
- 2 large waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250g/9oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g/1¾oz whole peeled almonds
- Place the chopped onion, chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind, sugar and one clove of garlic into a blender or food processor with the ginger. Pulse until blended into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the turkey, in batches if necessary, with the remaining garlic clove and thyme.
- Remove the turkey from the pan and discard the garlic.
- In the same pan, cook the blended paste for a few minutes then return the turkey to the pan and add the coconut milk, stock and potatoes.
- Cook gently for 20 minutes until the turkey has cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Finally, stir in the spinach, fresh coriander and almonds and warm through. Remove from the heat and serve.