Bengali prawn curry
April 21, 2015
- 400g large raw prawns, shell on
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Sea salt
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2cm ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole dried chilli
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Shell and devein the prawns, leaving the tails on, if you like.
- Place them in a bowl with the turmeric and a pinch of salt. Mix well, then leave to marinade for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the onions, ginger, garlic and chillies into a food processor with 2 tablespoons of water and blend to a fine paste.
- Het the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds, chilli powder, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves and whole chilli. Fry for a couple of minutes until the spices become fragrant and the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add the paste and fry over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Add the prawns and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until they are opaque and just cooked through.
- Add the coriander, stir through and serve with rice of choice.