Chicken black pepper curry
February 18, 2016
Peter Penguin says...
Hello, it's me Peter!
- 1 kilo chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 1 onion – thinly sliced
- 2 sweet green peppers
- 3 green chilli peppers
- 20 cherry tomatoes – quartered
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1- 2 tbsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 400ml coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander
- Heat the oil until bubbling hot.
- Add the cinnamon, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the chopped onions and stir it all up.
- Fry the onions until they begin to brown and then add the green chillies, black pepper and other ground spices.
- Spoon in the garlic and ginger paste and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes until “sealed”.
- Add the sliced green peppers, tomatoes and sliced onions and cover the pot.
- Cook for five to ten minutes. Add a pinch of salt.
- To finish, pour in the coconut milk and simmer until you are happy.
- Season with salt and perhaps a little more black pepper to taste and garnish with the fresh coriander.