Garlic chilli chicken
August 14, 2023
Peter Penguin says...
Can't be arsed pal.
Garlic chilli chicken is the bomb. Do it.
- 1kg chicken thighs (boneless)
- 450g white onions
- 1 star anise
- Small piece cinnamon stick
- 4 Tbsp garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp curry powder/mix powder/bassar
- 2 Tsp garam masala
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tbsp tandoori masala powder
- 12 green finger chillies
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk powder
- 8-16 cloves of sliced garlic
- 1 Tbsp mango chutney (optinal)
- 6 Tbsp tomato puree (mix with a splash of water)
- 1 Tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 Tsp chilli flakes
- 2 Tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 500ml boiling water (even better, use onion water)
- 150ml of oil
- Coriander to garnish
- Cross-cut the onions and boil for 10 minutes.
- Syphon off 500ml of the onion water and then blend the onions until they turn into a smooth purée.
- Char the green finger chillies (sliced in half lengthways) in the pan (no oil!) to roast/toast them off a bit. Set aside.
- Add a bit oil to pan and gently fry off 8 sliced garlic cloves until they soften and go slightly translucent (about 1 minute frying off). Set aside.
- Add 150ml of oil, heat up and add onion paste. Fry off for 8 minutes.
- Add star anise, cinnamon and garlic paste. Stir in and fry for 1 minute.
- Add all of the spices (including the coconut milk powder) except the kasoori methi. Stir into the paste and fry off for a minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well.
- Add chicken thighs to the paste, stir in. Then add the onion water and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the charred green finger chillies and the fried garlic (save a few for garnish if you like). Cook for another 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Add kasoori methi and salt to taste, make final adjustments (salt, water etc if needed). Then the mango chutney if using.
- Plate up, garnish with coriander.