Goan chicken curry
April 22, 2015
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tsp garam masala
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 75ml/2¾fl oz water
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients to give you a loose, smooth paste.
- Add the chicken pieces and coat them in the paste. Leave to marinate for around 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop and jump about in the pan, add the onion, chilli and garlic. Cook until they’re golden brown.
- Add the chicken and any extra paste from the marinade. Fry over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk. Increase the heat slightly and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 10-12 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly before seasoning with salt, stirring through the garam masala and serving with rice or naan bread.