Gordon’s chilli con carne
April 10, 2015
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper, dry-fried to toast it
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 300g braising steak, diced (Gordon uses featherblade; ask your butcher)
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 40ml red wine vinegar
- ½ bottle pinot noir red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock
- 20g 70% chocolate
- 150g mixed cooked beans such as kidney, black and black-eyed beans
- 1 small tub crème fraîche
- large handful coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix the flour, paprika, cayenne and cumin seeds. Toss the steak in this mixture.
- Heat a little oil in a large pan and fry the steak in batches until it browns all over. Tip onto a plate.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then fry the onions, garlic and chillies until the onions brown. Add the vinegar and bubble to a glaze. Do the same with the red wine.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Add the stock and beef and cook gently for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the chocolate and beans and heat through the beans. The chocolate will melt into the sauce. Add salt if needed.
- Mix the crème fraîche with the coriander and season. Serve with the chilli and mixed wild and basmati rice.