Gymkhana’s chicken butter masala
April 10, 2015
- 500g chicken thigh meat, cut into large dice
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder (or standard mild chilli powder)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of each: salt, garam masala, ginger paste, garlic paste (crush the ginger and garlic with a little water to a paste)
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
For the masala:
- 5 medium fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 250g chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 6 skinned almonds, ground to a paste with a little water
- ½ tsp diced ginger
- ¼ tsp chopped fresh green chilli
- 30g butter
- 30ml single cream
- Sliced ginger and fresh coriander, to serve
- Mix the marinade ingredients to a paste, smother over the chicken and refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade, skewer and place under a hot grill until they are almost fully cooked through, and nicely charred.
- Add the oil and all the tomatoes to a large pot on a low heat. When they have broken down (around 30 minutes), add all the masala ingredients except for the diced ginger, fresh chilli, butter and cream, along with half a cup of water (120ml). Continue to cook over a low heat, stirring continuously, for another 20-25 minutes. It is ready when the oil separates and rises to the top – if it is too thick, add a little water.
- Using hand blender, puree the sauce, strain and return to the pot.
- Add the grilled chicken, diced ginger and chilli, and cook for another five to seven minutes, then stir in the butter and cream. Check the seasoning and garnish with the ginger and coriander.