Indian chilli chicken
July 19, 2016
Peter Penguin says...
This is Maunika Gowardhan’s recipe for Indian chilli chicken.
- 300g boneless chicken thighs cut into small bite size pieces
- Oil for frying
For the batter
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp kashmiri chilli powder or mild paprika
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper powder
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions finely chopped (set aside the green ends for garnish)
- 1 green chilli cut in three
- 8-10 garlic finely chopped
- ½” ginger finely chopped
- 220g green pepper diced
- 80g red onion diced
- 1 tbsp chilli garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp Kecap manis
- 50ml water
- 1 tsp corn flour mixed with 2 tsp of water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wide sauce pan or a wok to the level of 1cm.
- In a mixing bowl add the corn flour, plain flour, chilli powder, black pepper and ginger garlic paste along with the salt. Add the vinegar and water; mix to make a thick batter.
- Add the chicken pieces to it and mix well coating all the pieces with the batter.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil in batches for 1-2 minutes. They should have a slight colour all over. Drain the chicken on kitchen paper and set aside.
- To make the sauce; heat the vegetable oil in a wok or kadhai on a medium heat. Add the white part of the spring onions and fry for a few seconds followed by the green chilli, chopped garlic and chopped ginger. Fry for 10 seconds and add the green peppers along with the red onions. Sauté for 1-2minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the chilli garlic sauce and the dark sticky soy (kecap manis) & stir well. Add the water and bring to a boil and simmer for a 1minute on a low heat.
- Add the corn flour water mix, season to taste and simmer for a further 2 minutes as it begins to thicken. Turn the heat off and cool the sauce slightly.
- When you’re ready to serve add the fried chicken pieces to the gravy, stirring well making sure to coat all the pieces with the sauce evenly. Simmer the sauce on a low heat for a minute. Serve warm with some noodles or fried rice with a garnish of green chopped spring onions.