Italian sausage stew with rosemary garlic mash
April 10, 2015
- 8 good-quality pork sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 rosemary sprigs, 1 chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 175g dried green lentils, rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 700ml stock
- 1kg potatoes, cut into chunks
- 150ml milk
- Fry the sausages in 1 tbsp oil in a casserole dish until brown. Remove.
- Tip in the carrots, celery and onion and cook for 10 mins, adding the chopped rosemary and half the garlic for the final min.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes and stock. Return the sausages, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a further 10-15 mins until lentils are soft. Season.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender. In another pan, heat the milk, remaining garlic and rosemary until just about to boil, then turn off heat. Drain the potatoes
- Sieve the hot milk over the rest of the potatoes and mash with the remaining oil, then season. Serve with the stew.