Japanese pan-fried chicken
April 22, 2015
- 2 -3 boneless chicken thighs
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 8 shishito green peppers or 3 small bell peppers
- 2 -3 tablespoons mirin (or 2-3 tbsp. sake + 2 tsp. sugar)
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce
- japanese sansho pepper (optional)
- shichimi togarashi pepper or red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Remove excess fat from chicken.
- Remove hard end tips of mushrooms, and cut into halves or fourths depending on size.
- Destem and remove seeds from peppers; cut into 4-6 pieces if bell peppers are used.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat until hot; add chicken skin side down, and cook until skin crisps and turns golden.
- Turn chicken and cook other side until brown.
- Add mushrooms and peppers to pan.
- When meat is cooked done, add the mirin and the soy sauce; turn chicken and vegetables frequently.
- Remove chicken when sauce thickens; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange all on a platter.
- Serve sansho pepper and shichimi togarashi as table condiments.